Monday, October 7, 2013

Joan Jett mentions Kristen & 'The Runaways' in a Q&A on Reddit


What was it like to work with Kristen Stewart when she portrayed you? Do you think she did a good job in her role of you?

I do think she did a good job. I think she was extremely dedicated to it, chopped all her hair off and really immersed herself in everything she could find about the Runaways and I helped her find some things, told her some things that I had never told anybody ever, not even for the book, how you function in life or what I was thinking at the time to give her insight into myself and my family. All of the actors did the best that they could with what they had, and it's a great story and it should be told. For me as the artist, you always wish that they would choose something more substantial than showing a tiff. But beyond that I thought they did a really good job.

And she really played guitar too! Which helped. So I could discuss how I play the guitar, how I hold the guitar, the way I stand. A lot of things I didn't realize I was doing until I saw her onscreen and realized oh my god I do that stuff. She noticed that, and picked up on it before I ever would have. Little things that people don't notice, but I guess if you're a good actor you do.

...also, I have been so curious as to your opinion on the movie The Runaways. Do you think they accurately showed your story? How did you think Kristen Stewart did portraying you? 

That's great. The actors did a great job with the script they were given. They can only do what's on the page, so they did the best they could, and they tried to immerse themselves in everything they could about the band. There wasn't tons of shows to watch or things to see, especially moving pictures, there was a little bit of stuff from Japan and a few European TV shows and interviews but that was it. There was nothing like what there is today. When I think back, I can't believe we did not document anything, even one tour, and I definitely regret that. But there's a lot more to be told about The Runaways and different stories that have more heft, so it's not the complete story but it's the partial story.

Congrats on your longevity and success. Were there any scenes left out of the movie that you would've liked to have made the cut?

No, that wasn't the issue for me with it. It was a movie and living in a band is much more detailed than what most movies are, and so there is a lot more detail to the Runaways than what was able to be shown in that hour and a half. But they pretty much used everything they had.

Joan did the fan Q&A on Reddit on 7 October 2013. Read the whole Q&A here.

Source Reddit Via


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this?